Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Things just keep getting better


This blog will be an upbeat one for sure. Jan and I drove over to Rochester for my follow up visits with my Doctors. I wonder some times if they aren't a little magicians for some of the things that they do. Doctor Moore's assistant Eli met with me yesterday after the swallow tests etc. I get the impression that they are like kids unwrapping a present when the see me or take off wound dressings. I think that they have a little wonderment themselves at what they have been able to accomplish. Anyhow, first off was the swallow test where they had me stand in front of a type of x-ray machine and watched me swallow liquids of varying consistency to see how the plumbing was working. Praise the Lord everything went down like I hadn't stopped eating by mouth 2 and a half weeks earlier. Next up was Dr. Eli and his staff. He pulled out all of the staples and stitches and last but not least the feeding tube. I must be tougher than I think I am because he warned me about pulling the tube was going to be really unpleasant. I found it kind of unique, feeling it come up from the bottom of the stomach and out through the nose. God, what a good feeling to get that chunk of fuel line out of my nose. Oh ya, first he had to snip the stitch out of my nose that held the tube in place, even that was not too bad. We went from there to the visitor cafeteria where I had some mashed potatoes,yogurt and a chocolate milk. It went well and after that we met Gen at the Hilton building for a bit before we headed back to St. James. The last couple of photos are of Gen and me, then there is one of me actually eating scrambled eggs and cheese. Later in the evening Eli,Lindsey, Leah and Aaron dropped by and there is a photo of the kiddos here on the kitchen floor. Today I had for dinner a can of soup that Jan ran up in the blender and it was terrific,about the first thing that I have been able to just slurp up and swallow. I have been praying for blessings for all the people that have praying for me, so I hope that all the help that I have been receiving will reflect back on an awfully lot of people. I think that it is time for a nap after dinner as I still don't have near the stamina I had before. Take care and leave a comment, please?








8 comments:

Mell said...

Congratulations on the speedy recovery! It must be great to be able to taste your food again. It's nice to hear about your accomplishments both on here and from Jan.

I have to say, it was great to see her last week at work. She was positively beaming and you could just see what a weight was off of her mind with your great prognosis.

So keep up the good work! Maybe you'll get to play with the Wii at PT.

Badger said...

Great title on this post, Dad. If only we could have seen into the future a couple of weeks ago to this post...all that worrying could have been avoided.
Anyhoo. I can only imagine how great those cafeteria mashed potatoes must have tasted to you! Now keep shoveling the food down and put on some weight. I bet Sam could beat you up right now...
Thank God again for your speedy recovery!

Lindsey said...

Speedy recovery is right! I'm sure it feels great to actually taste foods again. Keep up the good work, Pete!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I thought you would have the feeding tube until Christmas!! You look great. The cast is off too. I'm so glad for you that your recovery has gone so well. See you next week.

Lindsey said...

If I throw a ribeye in the blender do you think that will be the same?
We'll have to do one last good meal out here and have a bon-fire soon. At least you can have a beer now. Congrats dad, keep up the positive attitude and I'll keep up the prayers.-e

MamaD4 said...

Why ARE people so dang shy about leaving comments? You look supremely happy to be eating regular food again. Isn't it a little funny (so to speak) to think of how we take things for granted and how great it is to return to normal?

Well, as normal as you can be...!

DD4 said...

Wow! You look amazing, Pete! I'm so happy you got the tube removed and can once again eat. Also, you're standing without the aid of the walker. This is all so positive.

God is good. He has been watching over you and I'm sure He will continue to do so. It's nice that Jan and the rest of your family can breathe a sigh of relief, too. I wouldn't be concerned about needing naps. Enjoy them! :-)

Anonymous said...

Donna's right. Take those naps while you can. The "honey do" list will be waiting for you. :) Love ya!