Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thanks for the Replies

If you wish to refer back to yesterday,s photos, I will give a little explanation. Evidently MamaD4 spent too much time rolling her eyes when she was younger as I scrolled through my slides. The top two and a lower one are taken from the I.P. position in a B-52D of another B-52 refueling from a KC-135 over the South China Sea on our way into South Viet-Nam, I think in May of 1966. I did a couple of ride alongs on combat missions over the South. I made one flight to the Danang area and one west of Saigon around Tay Nihn. I think that I was included in these missions in case the EWO had trouble with our equipment (electronic warfare equipment). As it turns out there isn't too much I could do anyway because 90% of our black boxes were outside the pressurized compartments of the aircraft anyhow. I got to admit that training missions in the States were much more fun, with lots of low level (200ft) through Wyoming and North Dakota badlands etc.. I even got to ride in the right seat and run the throttles at altitude once and view the Cascade volcanoes at sunset as we headed west, great fun all in all. I hope that this clarifies some things.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah, that does clarify things. All I know is that I'm glad that you were on those missions...I mean from the opportunities that is has given you with the V.A.!

Anonymous said...

I know that I have told you, that I have no idea how I got selected for such a peach of a duty but it has turned out to be extreemly valuable in these later years.

MamaD4 said...

Ohhh, SNAP Pete! Having cancer has made you such a smart-ass :)

I turned to Hans in complete disbelief and said "When do I ever roll my eyes?". He just looked at me.

I think I do it involuntarily at this point.

Anyway, keep your slides out because we can watch some of them. Yes, even some plane ones and I promise not to roll my eyes.

Promise.

MamaD4 said...

I learned something too: I never knew you were any closer to Vietnam than Guam, so there you go. I'm paying attention.

Lindsey said...

Yeah keep those slides out, when rach comes home we can all watch a few rolls. I am not sure why that they get a bad rap? from what I remember they were always good family times..e

MamaD4 said...

Eli, you suck-up!

They were/are good family times, it just seemed the standard joke that some of the "all-plane" reels got a bit dull, that if we flipped slides fast enough we could watch the plane land and takeoff, that sort of thing.

I suppose Gen's going to say that she doesn't remember that, thus cementing my reputation as the PITA of the family!!

If we can manage a way to have us watch slides, that would be great. The kids might get a real kick out of seeing mommy(s) and daddy as little kids...

Badger said...

Eli, you are a brown noser. Or maybe you missed the reel after reel after reel of slides because you were huddled in your quilt on top of the heating vent. ?

Anonymous said...

Badger,

How about we bring slides over for the Thanksgiving get-together. I bet you we'll all laugh ourselves silly! We could pop some popcorn and spread blankets on the floor (like a boat) and reminisce.

MamaD4 said...

Thank HEAVENS Gen agreed. Maybe there's hope for me yet?

Slides at Thanksgiving it is. I call shotgun on Gen's boat. Or maybe she and I can pretend it's a camper.