Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I have to admit it's getting better-sort of
















I imagine that it is time to bring my few faithful readers up to date on goings on here. Last Friday Jan and I revisited the Doctor (actually she is a PA) for a followup check and at least my lungs are now clear. She surprised me when she told me that she wanted to put me in the hospital on my first visit. I guess that I dodged that bullet. I have been doing this on the VA's dime so it isn't quite as painful. While recovering I have spent a lot of time scanning slides into memory. I am up to about 1973, I think and it has really been a trip down memory lane. I hardly recognise that couple in those early pictures, me with lots of hair and that little blond farm girl from Alpha that took me in.




I see that it was the first picture on a roll, it was taken at a campground in Riverton, Wyoming I'm pretty sure. Anyhow, back to the present time. After seeing the Doctor last Friday Jan and I ran up to Mankato just to bum around on the day before our anniversary, she goes to Target and I head for Barnes and Noble. We did have lunch at Red Lobster mainly because Jan had a gift certificate, ordinarily for us, eating out means the Irish Steak House (Hans' favorite). Saturday we drove to Rochester to see the Theobalds and I went on to the Cities for the motorcycle show. I don't think that I will be going again as several manufacturers didn't show up due to costs I guess. Gen and Jan had a good time shopping and everyone seems to be coping with Lewis's loss as well as could be expected. Steve made us steak, baked potatoes, and corn for supper and it was much, much better than Red Lobster, I kid you not. Oh ya, about a month ago when we were down there I lost my everyday watch somewhere and figured it is either gone forever or lying next to the driveway somewhere. The thing was I had just bought a couple of batteries for it so I wouldn't have to look the next time it went dead. I bought it in San Jose in 1980 when I was there for training and my old watch crapped out. Anyway, we pulled up and I got out of the car and there it lay on top of the snow bank next to the driveway, still running with the correct time and date! This was after rain, snow, and some nasty weather.





Monday Jan and I baby sat Leah and Aaron in the afternoon while Eli and Lindsey went looking for cabinet options for their new home when it gets built. Yesterday Phil and I cruised up to Cambridge and Rush City for our semi-annual pilgrimage to the bike shop and Dennis Kirk for some parts and a new pair of riding boots that I have been wearing around the house to break them in. I may get my Aerostich and helmet out of the garage later and watch "On Any Sunday".





Other than that not too much new around here, as usual the weather is turning cold and windy today. Last night I drove home from Phil's in a snow and rain storm, it's a good thing it was above freezing so it was just wet. At least it flushed the mud off the GT. I'm going to tack a few pictures on here too from our past. Take care and stay in touch. The pictures at the top of the page are from supper that Jan and I ( in a supporting role) hosted Sunday evening. The towels were Kathy's anniversary gift to us. I couldn't think of a better way of verifying that we got them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, who's that little blonde? That's NOT Maria! Oh, my, that was a lifetime ago. Well, anyway I'll go back to Wyoming with you anytime, hon!

MamaD4 said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

You drove your MUSTANG in the snow and rain?

My entire concept of the world has to be rearranged. It's like seeing a flying pig.

The great San Jose trip of 1980, how I remember leaving you at the airport and it felt like you were gone for about 11-1/2 months. That's not a two-dollar watch, apparently!

Thanks for the new pictures, yes, especially of that cute blonde (working on her embroidery?)...it would be nice if you'd throw some of those in from time to time.

Lindsey said...

Huh? ive never seen that pic of mom b4..Aarons looking alot bigger too. Well dad if theres anywhere you wanna putz around to let me know probably havve some free time here--e

DD4 said...

I have to say, I first thought the photo was of Rachel when she was younger. Then I read your text and discovered I was wrong. Jan, how old are you in the photo?

I love the photos, Pete, and am happy you are making such progress.

Anonymous said...

Well, Donna, I was all of 23 there, I guess. Good times...good memories.