Thursday, September 11, 2008

Good times and Bad news

I am not sure what just happened here but I loaded up some pictures from Eli and my trip to Theilman for the semi-annual off road ride in the woods and hills. Several riders that we talked to said that it some of the best riding in this part of the country. I only crashed three times and managed not to damage me or the bike although I am a little sore from the physical activity of the day. Running through the woods on my 250 Kawasaki was a lot of fun but getting out of the way of the KTMs was important. Everything went pretty well until just before we managed to find a trail back to camp when a passing thunderstorm got the trails and hills really greasy. You haven't lived until you have fishtailed down a hill just trying to stay upright. I was glad to see the truck at the camp. It meant dry clothes and cold beer, it doesn't get much better than that, well, that is not entirely true.
We, Jan and I and Eli and his family had all spent Saturday night at Gen and Steve's' home in Rochester. Jan and I watched the four kiddos Saturday night so that the two couples could go out for their anniversary's. We all had a pretty good weekend I think.
I think that I have been blogging about my tooth trouble and last week we ended up an oral surgeons' office in Mankato. He looked in and took a biopsy of a spot in my mouth and Tuesday we went to get the results. It was a picture perfect day with a bad news start. I got the word " it's cancer", so now I am waiting for Mayo to give us a heads up on when this can get taken care of. In the meantime I was planning a long bike trip to Colorado and Utah so that is on hold until we hear. The treatment options do not sound pleasant to be sure. So there it is out I'm wondering how much other stuff can go wrong and then I get to thinking about some of our troops that I have welcomed home with missing limbs and brain injuries and they are just kids. Well, there is all the news that is news. If the pictures don't make it I will post another blog containing some from Theilman and Rochester.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For your readers, Pete, I just want to add that the oral surgeon felt the prognosis was very good...no cancer in the lymph nodes or bone. But it's sure a greasy path where we're just trying to stay upright, that's for sure!

Stephanie said...

Wow! For as many people that I hear it from,"I have cancer", it's still a shock. They have come so far with treatments though and you have about the most supportive family I have ever known. There is no doubt in my mind that you will pull through. Take care you guys and I will be praying for ya.