Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rochester Report

I will not have the problem of adding pictures to this blog. Our first office visits here in Rochester turned far worse than we expected. The explanation of the surgery involved does not sound pleasant. About half of my lower jaw and associated tissue has to come out , with the jaw repairs with the smaller bone from my lower leg. The doctor said it is a long procedure but you will be asleep the whole time. It is too bad I couldn't just be out until everything is healed up, which sounds as if it will be about 3 months. The recovery is the part that I am not looking forward to. Return visits will be frequent. Luckily we have Gen and Steve and the boys home with a spare bedroom to hang out at. I gotta tell you that we did not expect a treatment that would be this extreme. I felt a strange sense of peace about the whole thing yesterday it is probably all the people praying for us. Today I have a PET scan that will be a few hours long and tomorrow another scan of some sort. All through this whole thing I keep thinking " how can I feel so good while all these things are happening in my body?" Surgery is scheduled for next Friday so keep up the prayers? One drawback to waiting all week is that the tension will build all week long until check in next Thursday.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good luck with your PET scan and the testing tomorrow.

I thought the same thing regarding you feeling so good with these things going on with your body. It just shows how strong your are! You've always taken such good care of your health and I feel that it will help so much more in your recovery. It will be no walk in the park by no means, but you have a wonderful wife and lots of family that will help you along the way. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised. One woman in my cancer survivors exercise group had cancer of the mouth. Did the doctors talk about not being able to eat solid food or that you may need speech therapy. There is so much Mayo can do for you. You are in a great place. Supportive staff and family mean a lot, I know. So hang in there. We will both be cancer survivors.

MamaD4 said...

Hang in there, Dad. We're keeping up the prayers and the word is spreading, so the ring of people praying is getting wider all the time!

Why not take a little trip between Saturday and Wednesday? I'm not going to tell you not to dwell on it, that's impossible, but maybe a ride would help to at least divert a few brain cells?

Loretta Peterson said...

Hello Kuehls,
I was sorry to hear of the battle ahead for you and your family. Get used to the hurry up and wait scenario..
You have been very blessed with beautiful & caring children, grandchildren and a very beautiful daughter in law : )
I believe that you will continue to be blessed. My prayers will be added to prayers of your friends and family.

DD4 said...

Pete, please add me to your list of prayer warriors. You and Jan and your family are in my thoughts prayers.

~ Donna