Monday, December 17, 2018

Pre Christmas part 3

   May started with warm temperatures for a change, so things got moving around our house and out at the farm. A couple years back I spent some time restoring a 1979 Honda that really had not been running very well. I got a cheap carb for it and it started first kick, so that project is done as far as I can go. Jan and I are running around southern Minnesota following our grand kids track and soccer events. We got the news that Mom had been selected to be the queen at Pleasant View this year, we were all surprised to say the least. It was a short lived reign as she passed away on the 20th barely a week later. You can refer back to my first post this Christmas for more details. Prior to that time, Jan and I drove to Dayton, Ohio to visit the Air Force Museum. The Memphis Belle, a WWII B-17 had been totally restored and was being unveiled to the public at the time I was there. I am sure that she did not look that good the day she rolled off of the assembly line. After the 20th we were spending a lot of time getting ready for Mom's funeral by making arrangements with the funeral director, checking with the bank in Ormsby and cleaning out her room at the rest home. The day of the funeral it managed to get above 90 degrees, so there was not a lot of lingering at the cemetery. The next day I was over to Preston State Cemetery on a PGR mission and it was over 100 so that was pretty brutal too. The hot weather brought in bad storms, so Jan and I helped at the farm picking up debris.
   June, I am almost half way through. I took a run out to Wyoming that was haunted by extreme hail storms that I, for the most part avoided. I spent some time sitting east of New Underwood waiting for a storm that had baseball sized hail to pass off to the north-east, but I did hit heavy rain and some hail passing through Sturgis. The next morning I rode west into Wyoming, one of my favorite rides, early morning west from Spearfish to Buffalo, clear and fresh. West of Gillette seeing the snow in the Big Horns come into view. I did the loop up to Dayton, over the mountains, back to Ten Sleep, and Buffalo for the night. Another morning ride to Kaycee and Wright, to Newcastle and Rapid City for the night, and sweat out another bad storm. While I was gone they had almost 5 inches of rain around home. I did make the airshow at Granite Falls again. What a boost for a WWII aircraft enthusiast, several P-51 Mustangs, P-38, P-40s, etc., all flying. We had lots of rain and warm temps, and trips to assorted locations to see the Theobald boys soccer games. I had another PGR mission to Preston again, and a check of Mom's empty house revealed a bad sump pump, so I ended up replacing that and had Phil bring a de-humidifier along when he came down. It was so damp in the basement that the doors wouldn't close. By the end of the month we rolled the trailer out and towed it down to Lanesboro for the 4th weekend. That pretty much sums up that month.
.

No comments: