Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Black Hills High



































































I'm paraphrasing John Denver again for this edition of the blog. I hope that no-one is getting tired of hearing about my exploits via motorcycles, but it is my blog, correct? This first picture is Jan and three of our grandchildren on the "boat" on the lawn having some pudding. Sam and Gus spent a night while their parents attended a wedding reception in Mankato. Leah was over for awhile to play with her cousins and some neighborhood girls came over too, so it was kind of wild for awhile. To break the motorcycle cycle I'm adding some pictures from that weekend. I like the one of Gus and I at the breakfast table, he loves to snuggle in the morning and I am glad to accommodate him. It is fun having them around but it seems as if it is more work than it used to be, particularly for Jan as usual. So anyhow, Eli managed to get a couple of days off last weekend so we headed for the Hills on Thursday afternoon and spent the night in Rapid City. The next day we went riding west of Spearfish Canyon in some territory that was new to us. We ended up on Cement Ridge which is actually in Wyoming and has a terrific view of four states, I'll throw some pictures in, you'll have to figure out which is which. The weather was beautiful and just a shade warm, so we were shedding clothes as we went along, although I never ride without my armored gear. We had parked the truck near Roughlock Falls in Spearfish Canyon not far from where the final scenes of "Dances with Wolves" was filmed. I think that this side canyon is prettier than the main canyon, but then that is just my opinion. We spent that night in Hill City and the next day went up riding around Nemo on a marked trail system. After riding that portion of rocky climbs, descents and switchbacks Eli and I came to the conclusion that we thought that this was harder riding than Colorado. We had lunch in Nemo and ended up by Dalton Lake after floundering around in the woods for a couple of hours. We got to thinking that after loading the bikes on the truck that it didn't make much sense to get a motel for the night and then head home, so we just headed east and were home in St. James by mid-night. Last night (Monday) I helped Eli move a couple of things to the new house after they passed the final inspection. A couple of photos from their first real night in their new home. It has been a long road and there is some basement finish work to be done but they are into the new digs.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Really glad you guys got to go to the Hills. Hopefully, another trip won't be too far off. The pictures look as beautiful as Colorado, that's for sure! Hopefully, your next post will be pix from Wisconsin...

MamaD4 said...

At last, some pictures from Eli and Lindsey's new house! I have been hearing about it so much, but this is the first I've seen some finished pictures. Thanks.

Your trip to the Hills looks great...I'm also glad that you were able to squeeze it in. Going out there seems like so much less of a trek than it used to be, doesn't it? I wonder why that is.

Lindsey said...

I also am really glad that you got that short Hills trip in. So you are thinking of going to Wisconsin next? Sounds fun!

Sorry Rachel about not getting pictures posted. We will post some once we get internet again. We don't have TV either-not even channel 12--eeeekk!

Thanks for posting the pics Pete.

DD4 said...

Beautiful pictures - all of them!